Things to do around Westcliffe & Silver Cliff
in Custer County
- See the Milky Way as you never have before at a scheduled or impromptu Star Party at the Smokey Jack Observatory.
- Plan a trip on horseback or join a cattle round up at Bear Basin, Music Meadows or A Painted View Ranch.
- Pedal an unspoiled Western town or grind the gravel on quiet country roads.
- Climb one of a half-dozen 14ers in the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness.
- Discover the history of ranching, mining and the railroad at Beckwith Ranch, Silver Cliff Museum and All Aboard Westcliffe Museum.
- Explore the eccentric and architecturally unique Bishop Castle.
The Central Mountains have the highest concentration of 14ers in Colorado, old mining roads and hundreds of miles of trails.
Experience an adrenaline-filled activity at a zipline or adventure parks, or spend a day relaxing day with a round of golf or soaking in a natural hot springs.
Go skiing or snowboarding at Monarch Mountain or Ski Cooper, find miles of groomed trails for snowmobiling, XC skis, snowshoes or fat bike.
Enjoy float trips, kayaking, whitewater parks for kayakers, river surfers and SUPs, or convenient fishing access points and high alpine lakes.
Explore the history of the area, visit historic townsites, on interpretive mining history trails, or visit a dinosaur museum.